Our network

YouTube arrest video fuels Rocklin police debate

YouTube arrest video fuels Rocklin police debate

YouTube video of a man being struck by a police baton at a New Year's Eve party has ignited a debate over the appropriate use of force.

Rocklin police say they used an appropriate level of force to arrest a man who refused to be handcuffed, but some witnesses said the force appeared to be excessive.

Rocklin police spokesman Lt. Lon Milka said between 800 and 1,000 people were at the party at Mercedes Benz of Rocklin when police were called to assist with a stuck elevator shortly after 11 p.m.  Friday.

Milka said as the officers prepared to leave the party, they saw John Edward Banks, 41, shove his girlfriend.

Community Sponsors

Cops: Auburn suspected purse snatcher linked to more thefts

Cops: Auburn suspected purse snatcher linked to more thefts

Placer sheriff's detectives are now linking a grocery store purse snatcher to a total of six thefts within two months.

According to Dena Erwin, Placer County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman, the thief stole the purses off grocery carts when the unsuspecting shopper turned to select merchandise from the shelves.

Store surveillance video showed the suspected purse snatcher at the Bel Air store in Roseville on Nov. 14, the Safeway store in Rocklin on Dec. 28; and the Raleys, Bel Air, Safeway and Save Mart in Auburn on Dec. 30.

He's described as black, in his 20s with a shaved head.

Former Kings player sentenced after reaching plea

Former Kings player sentenced after reaching plea

Antoine Wright, former Sacramento Kings basketball player, received three years of informal probation following a DUI in Rocklin on Nov.

Man gets 40-plus years in Sacramento sheriff's deputy shooting

Man gets 40-plus years in Sacramento sheriff's deputy shooting

A 21-year-old man has been sentenced to more than 40 years in prison for shooting a Sacramento sheriff's deputy after robbing a bank.

The Sacramento Bee reports that Superior Court Judge David DeAlba ordered Jordan Elijah Latour on Thursday to serve 40 years and eight months for the Aug. 8, 2009, shooting of Deputy Duke Lewis.

Lewis testified that Latour shot him in the shoulder as he and two other men tried to flee after robbing a Rocklin bank. The injury kept Lewis off duty for 14 months.

Latour was convicted of assault with a deadly weapon, bank robbery and evading a police officer. He will be retried for attempted murder after jurors failed to reach a verdict on that count.

A second defendant is scheduled for sentencing Jan. 21, while a third also faces a retrial.

Community Sponsors

Sacramento couple sentenced in 5-year-old's torture killing

Sacramento couple sentenced in 5-year-old's torture killing

A Sacramento mother and her boyfriend convicted of murdering her 5-year-old son were given long prison sentences Friday.

Sacramento County Superior Court Judge Michael P. Kenny sentenced Eduardo Zamora Jr., 32, to 23 years to life in prison and a second life term in the first-degree murder and torture of Braeden James Gardner in June 2009.

Amber Ingram, 26, convicted of second-degree murder, received a 15 years to life sentence for child endangerment for leaving her son with Zamora while she went to work.

According to the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department, Zamora called 911 on June 17, 2009, from the couple's home to report the boy had stopped breathing. Paramedics took the child to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Hospital officials said the boy had extensive bruising and injuries indicating he had been abused.

Roseville police warn of increase in burglaries and vandalism

ROSEVILLE, CA - The Roseville Police Department is looking for the public's help in tracking down a robber and warning residents about an increase in burglaries and vandalism.

In a news release sent out Thursday morning, Roseville police Public Information Officer Dee Dee Gunther said the department has seen an uptick in the crimes particularly in the east Roseville area. She said officers have responded to five daytime house burglary calls and six vehicle burglary or vandalism calls since the beginning of new year.

Two of the house burglaries took place on the 1700 block of Oakwood Drive; one on the 1800 block of Blue Jay Drive; one on the 1300 block of Gerry Way and one on the 1600 block of Old Hart Ranch Road.

Police urge residents to lock their car and house doors, keep garage doors closed, and immediately call 911 to report any suspicious persons or activities.

Former Kings player sentenced after reaching plea

SACRAMENTO, CA - Antoine Wright, former Sacramento Kings basketball player, received three years of informal probation following a DUI in Rocklin on Nov. 5 of last year.

Though Wright was not present at the sentencing, Placer County Superior Court Judge Alan Pineschi gave him to a 15-day jail sentence and a $450 fine.

A plea arrangement with the Placer County District Attorney's Office included the judge dismissing two other misdemeanor counts of driving with the blood alcohol level of .08 or higher and unlicensed driver.

The prosecutor in the case, Matt Block, said Wright was driving with a blood alcohol level of 0.20 percent.

William Portanova, the attorney of the former King's player told the court that Wright is no longer in California.

Oakmont upsets Woodcreek in D-II Section Title rematch

ROSEVILLE, CA - Oakmont won the city of Roseville braggings when they defeated Woodcreek 61-57 Friday night.

The victory was a big win for Vikings (10-6), who had lost to Timberwolves in December 34-65 and in the CIF D-II Section Title Game 44-45.

Woodcreek (14-3) losing only their third game of the season. They will host Granite Bay next week to open the Sierra Foothill League. Oakmont will face Casa Roble on Thursday.

Roseville-based Solar Power wins big contract

Roseville-based Solar Power wins big contract

ROSEVILLE - Roseville-based Solar Power, Inc. beat out its competitors to win the construction bid for one of the nation's largest rooftop solar systems. The company will build a five megawatt system for White Rose’s distribution warehouse in New Jersey.  White Rose is one of the nation's largest independent wholesale food distributors.

Teen's good intentions cause hazmat scare at North Highlands landfill

NORTH HIGHLANDS, CA - A Sacramento County Sheriff's Department hazmat crew safely detonated a flammable chemical at a North Highland landfill after a teenager tried to dispose of it Thursday afternoon.

The teen, a 16-year-old girl, brought a container of picric acid to the Sacramento County North Area Transfer Station on Roseville Road that had belonged to her late father, a chemist, according to sheriff's spokesman Deputy Jason Ramos.

The picric acid was marked as flammable or explosive and that prompted landfill operators to call the Sacramento Metro Fire District. The sheriff's department was also contacted.

The sheriff's hazmat crew buried the acid and then detonated it.

No one was hurt. The landfill was temporarily closed to customers.